One of the most complex emotions to handle for children It is anger. Sometimes the accumulation of anger or frustration, explodes in a tremendous tantrum. Given this, what do we do? Do we scold our son? Do we look at him impassively? Do we ignore him?
There are many theories about how to react to the tantrums of children . This is the most respectful way for the child, perhaps the most wasteful of precise empathy. do you want to know what is it about? We learn to handle the tantrums of children in a respectful way. Pay attention.
The 8 golden rules to respectfully handle children’s tantrums
In front of a child tantrum, there are only two possibilities: act or not act That is, stay indifferent and ignore the tantrum or, take part in the matter and try to help the child to control it.
All these tips are directed to the second option. In the event that you are among those who think that the child, in full tantrum, should not be ignored, you may be interested in all these tips on how to handle in a respectful way the tantrums of children :
1. Do not lose control. Your son ends to lose the nerves. Can you imagine that you lose them too? It would be like adding to a hurricane of maximum force another major hurricane … devastation assured !! First of all, try to stay calm. It is what your child needs most at this time.
2. Try to crouch while talking to him. It may seem like an unimportant gesture, but active listening It contributes a lot to your son. First of all, feel that you are not above, but you put yourself at their level and want to understand. It feels more ‘friendly’ and begins to relax.
3. Use simple words. It’s no use trying to explain your child complex things like ‘anger is an emotion that overwhelms you completely and makes you lose control of reason …’ Your child will not understand. Use simpler phrases: ‘I understand how you feel’ … ‘I know you feel a lot of rage’ … ‘How do you feel like a balloon about to explode?’ …
4. Do not scream Rather, use a quiet tone of voice (as calm as you can at such a time). The screams are useless , well yes, they serve, to stress even more the children.
5. Offer an alternative. What your child needs, in the case that you can not fulfill your caprice at that moment, is to listen to a solution for your child that is surely a big problem even if you see it as a simple whim). And where do we find a solution? With an alternative. For example: ‘I can not buy that toy now, but we can play a very fun game in the park.’
6. Hug it. Some kids are reluctant to physical contact in full tantrum, but if he leaves you, hug him, since the hug will bring him security and comfort.
7. Nothing of long explanations. The phrases, the shorter, the better. Children are ‘lost’ in the middle of a long explanation, since they will stop paying attention in the second twenty … Try telling them what is important at the beginning. It is not necessary to give many explanations. Only the fair ones.
8. When the tantrum has finally passed, talk to him more slowly. Once the storm subsides, the sun will arrive … It is the ideal time to talk with your son, as he will be more receptive and you can reason with him. You will be able to review the emotions that you felt, and above all, why that happened to you. You will be surprised to see how your son is capable of having a reasoned conversation, and finally understand your reasons why you could not cater to his whim in full tantrum.
cpsu – Parenting Tricks