On many occasions, children have very good disposition for the study and yet, in practice they spend a long time to be able to memorize a lesson or being able to understand a concept. They spend their time without reaping the fruits of their effort and, therefore, end up discouraging and delaying the time to start studying.
Unfortunately, failure or inefficiency in the study is often caused by a lack of strategies to do it and not to low intelligence or problems of Attention .
Teach children to be interested in learning
In the first Primary courses, our children are challenged to start study . It is no longer good to attend class and attend; it takes memorize, understand, synthesize, relate and explain . The fact that they learn to learn now will make their life easier … the rest of their lives.
what can we do as parents? As usual, complement what our children learn in the school ; get closer to their minds and show them realities that they will learn with enthusiasm because they are tremendously useful and because we are not going to evaluate about them.
There are too many children they spend hours and hours ‘studying’, without obtaining good results, in a spiral of effort – bad results – demotivation, which marks them in school and, in the long run, many times professionally. Is it so difficult to learn to learn? I think learning to learn is like learning to sell, learn to plan or learn to decide. These are absolutely vital things, which are taken for granted, and to which neither we nor our educators have explicitly dedicated the time it deserves.
Learning to learn does not have recipes , or recetillas. It has methods, which have to be acquired, assimilated and used. I will mention some of those that for me are key to learn:
– Distinguish concepts: differentiate objects or similar words, look for differences.
– Make definitions: we can start saying what ‘no’ are things, to limit the possibilities or play to give clues to hit some object or animal.
– Associate ideas : use mnemonic rules that allow us to remember a name or thing in relation to other more everyday.
– To focus : not lose the thread or the central idea that we are going to study.
– Schematize: make schemes or trees in which some concepts depend on others.
– Synthesize : make summaries or be able to answer a few central questions.
– To meditate : reflect on what has been learned There is no subject in the school that deals with these activities our mind , and nevertheless we need to realize them throughout life, it is important that from the beginning we put our children on the track of how to do it.
Patro Gabaldón . Editor of GuiaInfantil.com
cpsu – Parenting Tricks