Years ago, when many of us studied, we entered the school , we integrated in a group and with him we continued throughout the educational stage. For 10, 12 or 14 years, depending on the time you spent in school, you shared a classroom and a yard with the same students.
However, years ago, in many educational systems a new custom was established, it is about mixing children in primary or at the end of each cycle. A controversial decision that confronts parents, teachers and educators.
The bad thing about mixing children in primary
Despite the arguments in favor that many pedagogues, professors and some parents support, these are some of the disadvantages:
– Children introverts they will have a much harder time adapting , they will have to re-fit in the group, with what has already cost them in their day. They will have to get to know their classmates again and, in this phase, they can feel lost, confused and this situation be reflected in their school performance. Of course, the extroverted children will not have so many problems since they find it easier to socialize, but that does not mean that they do not spend a few misplaced days.
– When parents have gotten to know each other, we are in contact, we have even established personal relationships because of the affinity that our children have and we have organized the groups of Whatsapp , the separation, in the medium term it also ends up affecting us . Again we have to start generating relationships with other parents and make contact.
– Sometimes the group that has been formed is perfect , it is fair, the class works perfectly, it is a cohesive, cooperative classroom with a good relationship and, one day, from one course to another, it separates and the change breaks with that stability. Change something that works, does not make much sense.
– One of the reasons given by the supporters of this formula is that children learn to socialize with everyone, I believe that class is not the place to form friendships or affinities . It happens in the yard, in the playtime , in the dining room. These are leisure moments where groups are created. In class, we work, the important thing is that the classroom is made up of children of different characteristics, sexes, behaviors or levels so that learning is rich. Friendships are made in the yard.
Arguments in favor of mixing children throughout school life
– New relationships are created: the change of partners causes new friendships to be established and children to open up to other circles.
– Breaks up with influential groups or class leaders : many classes are “directed” by a few children who decide on and by others. They even interfere with the game on the playground or they can even bully others.
– It ends with the tags of many children: there are children who are known as “the snail of the class”, “the charlatan of the class”, “the graciosillo” … These labels end up accompanying the child, in such a way that, it will tend to behave like that because it is what it is expected of him. When starting from scratch in a new group, the file will be blank.
– The change of classes does not end with friendships: Children who are friends, will continue to be friends, will gather at recess and will not stop relating. And in addition, they will have the opportunity to make new friends and, children who were isolated will have new opportunities.
– There are groups that are very unbalanced and many children with learning problems, distracted or rebellious may have come together. Mixing is compensated and diversity is addressed.
As you can see, arguments for and against there are of all types. I believe that this whole issue depends very much on each group and each child, that any of the above statements can be refuted and that what should be taken into account is the personal and global circumstance of each group. These measures always favor some and harm others.
cpsu – Parenting Tricks